On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 1:51 PM, C M <cmpyt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Mauro Cavalcanti <mauro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As I posted before, I ran across precisely these same errors when
>> upgrading my Ubuntu box and the Python interpreter. You will need to
>> install other dependencies as the installation log shows (gtk-2.0+,
>> pygtk), including its development versions.
>
> Can someone explain why I was able to have matplotlib 0.99 installed
> previously, and can easily have 0.98 installed through Synaptic/Ubuntu
> repositories, and yet have to hunt down the additional dependencies
> myself if I install from svn?

Because you have to have the development headers available in order to
*compile* the extension code in matplotlib. I tried to make clear in
my previous post that if you inspect the error messages and find
references to missing .h files, that means you need to install the
relevant development packages. In your most recent post, png.h is
missing, so you need to install libpng-dev (or whatever ubuntu calls
the development headers for the png library).

> I can't recall if I installed 0.99
> through a third party repository or how I got it, but the point is:
> is the svn version going to be different than what one gets through a
> repository?
>
> Is this need to install dependencies usually the case when installing
> from svn?

yes

> --and if so, can I suggest that this be mentioned in the
> online documentation? (perhaps it is and I didn't see it?).

The information is already available in the INSTALL file in the svn
sources, and I just added a comment which should eventually appear at
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/installing.html .

Darren