Jae-Joon Lee wrote:
> Looking at the code, the "transparent" option set alphas of paches to
> 0, which I think is simply ignored in ps backend (which does not
> support alpha). I think it is better if the visibility of patches is
> set to False when the "transparent" option is set.

The ps backend does not support alpha in general, but it does use
alpha=0 as a flag to not render.  The problem is that there is a single
alpha for an artist with both line color and face color.  The artist
alpha kwarg and attribute are at the root of much of the present
alpha-mess in mpl.

> Setting patch's (face) color to "none" work for me. If it does not
> work, please post a complete script.

I think this is what needs to be fixed in figure.py: the transparent
option should be manipulating the patch facecolors, not the patch artist
alpha value.

Eric