In article <rowen-466e37.16580630062...@news.gmane.org>,
 "Russell E. Owen" <ro...@uw.edu> wrote:

> I'm trying to find a matplotlib 0.99.3 binary installer that works with
> the standard python.org Python (preferably 2.6) and hence works with Mac
> OS X 10.4 or greater. (I distribute an application that needs to run on
> a wide range of versions of Mac OS X).
>
> The official binary I found refuses to install on my machine claiming it
> wants system python 2.6 (I happen to be running 10.5 so that's no use to
> me, and some users of my application are running 10.4).
>
> I also tried the egg, but of course it fails -- presumably it's based on
> the same build.
>
> If a binary isn't available I"ll make my own, but I figured I'd check
> first.
>
> -- Russell

I made binaries (on Mac OS X 10.5) using my instructions:
<http://www.astro.washington.edu/users/rowen/BuildingMatplotlibForMac.htm
l>

They are available from here, for now:
<http://www.astro.washington.edu/users/rowen/python/>

please test them. If they work then I hope the matplotlib folks will
consider serving them as official "for 3rd-party Python" binaries
(as opposed to the current ones they are serving, which are for Apple's
Python).

-- Russell