Hi,

On my Macbook Pro I use Python 2.6 as provided by the Enthought Python
Distribution. I ran into some problem with Axes3D so I decided to
upgrade to the latest version from source. While trying that I got a
similiar error message as discussed in

http://www.mail-archive.com/matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg12938.html

i.e. error: png.h: No such file or directory

In short matplotlib could not find libpng (or png.h from that). I had
libpng installed via fink in the usual place /sw/include etc. This
seems to be a quite natural choice, so I wondered why matplotlib does
not find that out of the box. Following the tips in the above post I
looked at basedir in setupext.py For some reason the basedirs for
darwin where commented out. Uncommenting the basedirs did the trick
for me [1] and matplotlib happily installed with the libpng from fink.

Hope this will help other mac users. Thanks for the great work on
matplotlib!

Cheers,

Markus

[1] Here the relevant lines for setupext.py

     'darwin' : ['/sw/lib/freetype2', '/sw/lib/freetype219', '/usr/
local',
                 '/usr', '/sw'],
     # it appears builds with darwin are broken because of all the
     # different flags the deps can be compile with, so I am pushing
     # people to :
     #   make -f make.osx fetch deps mpl_build mpl_install

     #'_darwin' : [],