On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 2:29 AM, Tim Åberg <qw...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have now been tampering with a custom formatter and the more i think about
> it the more i feel there must be a more easy soulution. I have a set of
> values that are plotted over time (i use date2num, to get the conversion
> from date to num), i also have a list with dates that corresponds to these
> values;
> ['2010-11-05 10:27:45.605000', '2010-11-05 10:27:50.576000', '2010-11-05
> 10:27:55.913000'], this to not have to do a conversion back, i imagine its
> the most effective way to do it.
>
> Now to the question;
>
> The only two values in the datelist that is vital is the first and the last,
> in between i really just want to have values that corresponds lineary. Thats
> brings me to resoulution, if the values are far far in between, say weeks or
> even moth the time (h:s:ms) isnt so important and vice versa.
>
> Is there any formatter that do this sort of things? eg. takes in two
> values(dates) and format it by itself.

Take a look at this example

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/api/date_index_formatter.html

It's trying to solve a different but related problem: in financial
time series you only have data on Monday - Friday, and you don't want
to plot the gaps on weekends.  So you plot the data linearly with an
index, and use a custom locator and formatter to set and format the
ticks.

JDH