Hi,

I appreciate all the effort and, lastly, the large functionality
offered by matplotlib.  But I found no way around formulating things a
bit provocative on
http://friedrichromstedt.github.com/matplotlib-grayscale/index.html.

The project is about matplotlib-grayscale, a matplotlib patch that
aims at grayscale toggle-switch behaviour as well as colour filtering
/ conversion.

The project has a proof of concept (see under the URL above), but I
disregard this since it has major design flaws, although *it works*.
But as most things in matplotlib, *which work*, I would rather prefer
a well thought-through solution.  No offense, it's just the way it
goes with matplotlib.  I have some examples in the roadmap.

I'm telling upfront that I don't want to get engaged with mpl, I just
want to get this my project getting an ex-project.  So I want to do it
quickly and properly, let it go to the main repository, and forget
about it except bug-fixes, the usual maintenance.

Time frame, is, including good testing, say 3 monthes.  I want to get
it started quickly and just want to let you all let know about this
project.  I'll do it irrespective of if there's clubbing, it's up to
the maintainers to accept or reject it in the end.

I'm asking for ideas about the general design, which do not go too far
with mpl, but use the existing framework to its best.  I've put some
of my ideas on the web page noted above.

I did not dive into it again yet after the few monthes of letting it
put aside.  I just dug out my old commit messages and have put them
together on the web page together with the superficial things I
remembered.  But I think the detail knowledge can be recovered easily.

Only constructive feedback please.

Especially a documenter/tester with a fresh eye on the things I know
now would be great.  Same applies for testing.  The testing done for
the pre-github proof-of-concept by Benjamin Root must be noted here,
it made flaws and side-tracks apparent I either didn't know about or
did overlook.  Documenting and testing of the technical things is up
to me, only the interface documentation and testing boredom.

Last time I kept the project secret, I'm not gonna do commit that mistake again.

Without matplotlib, lastly, also this patch would simply not exist,
neither in my mind nor in reality.

cu,
Friedrich

P.S.: I keep the right of dropping the project at any time.  I'll do
my diploma next monthes, so time might be short.  But I think it might
serve its purpose.

--
I want to be honest and open to you from the beginning who I am and
what I'm doing.  So here's a small collection of informative links:

http://github.com/friedrichromstedt/ (github code sharing);
http://friedrichr.blogspot.com/2011/10/home-dashboard.html
(All-Purpose Blog); http://picasaweb.google.com/friedrichromstedt/
(photos which are public); http://vimeo.com/friedrichr/ (videos which
are public).  There's a legacy web page
http://www.friedrichromstedt.org/ which is to be replaced.  There's a
legacy YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/friedrichromstedt/
which is unmaintained.  And there's a news feed on Twitter:
@f_romstedt.