On 10/19/2011 05:15 PM, Friedrich Romstedt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I appreciate all the effort and, lastly, the large functionality
> offered by matplotlib.  But I found no way around formulating things a
> bit provocative on
> http://friedrichromstedt.github.com/matplotlib-grayscale/index.html.
>
> The project is about matplotlib-grayscale, a matplotlib patch that
> aims at grayscale toggle-switch behaviour as well as colour filtering
> / conversion.
>
> The project has a proof of concept (see under the URL above), but I
> disregard this since it has major design flaws, although *it works*.
> But as most things in matplotlib, *which work*, I would rather prefer
> a well thought-through solution.  No offense, it's just the way it
> goes with matplotlib.  I have some examples in the roadmap.
>
> I'm telling upfront that I don't want to get engaged with mpl, I just
> want to get this my project getting an ex-project.  So I want to do it
> quickly and properly, let it go to the main repository, and forget
> about it except bug-fixes, the usual maintenance.
>
> Time frame, is, including good testing, say 3 monthes.  I want to get
> it started quickly and just want to let you all let know about this
> project.  I'll do it irrespective of if there's clubbing, it's up to
> the maintainers to accept or reject it in the end.
>
> I'm asking for ideas about the general design, which do not go too far
> with mpl, but use the existing framework to its best.  I've put some
> of my ideas on the web page noted above.
>
> I did not dive into it again yet after the few monthes of letting it
> put aside.  I just dug out my old commit messages and have put them
> together on the web page together with the superficial things I
> remembered.  But I think the detail knowledge can be recovered easily.
>
> Only constructive feedback please.
>
> Especially a documenter/tester with a fresh eye on the things I know
> now would be great.  Same applies for testing.  The testing done for
> the pre-github proof-of-concept by Benjamin Root must be noted here,
> it made flaws and side-tracks apparent I either didn't know about or
> did overlook.  Documenting and testing of the technical things is up
> to me, only the interface documentation and testing boredom.
>
> Last time I kept the project secret, I'm not gonna do commit that mistake
> again.
>
> Without matplotlib, lastly, also this patch would simply not exist,
> neither in my mind nor in reality.
>
> cu,
> Friedrich
>
> P.S.: I keep the right of dropping the project at any time.  I'll do
> my diploma next monthes, so time might be short.  But I think it might
> serve its purpose.

Friedrich (or others),

I hope you will consider the following to be constructive.

I understand one use case for a gray switch: sometimes one needs to make
gray versions of plots for formal publication, but one wants to have
nicer color versions for other purposes.

What is the use case for grayscale support for parts of the Figure?  It
seems to me that this requires a much more complex and extensive set of
changes than a switch for the whole Figure.  Is it really worth it?

You indicate that some caching will need to be eliminated.  Is this
correct?  If your branch causes a significant loss of speed in
displaying and interacting with large data sets, then I will oppose
merging it.  Speed matters for a significant fraction of mpl usage.

Improvements in mpl architecture that maintain or increase speed, and
that make it more comprehensible, maintainable, and capable, are
certainly welcome.  Color handling has grown organically, often
bedeviled by that pesky alpha, and I have no doubt that it could be
cleaned up and improved.

Eric