2011/11/12 Friedrich Romstedt <friedrichromst...@gmail.com>:
>> To give the valuable information in the beginning: It appears it
>> cannot handle /Library/Fonts/NISC18030.ttf.  It tries to load it via
>> ft2font.FT2Font() but that gives the Bus error.  The ttf file dates to
>> 28 Jan 2010.  It is 7108232 bytes large.  I don't know why it cannot
>> be loaded.
>
> A quick googling of "NISC18030.ttf matplotlib" yields this interesting
> result:
> http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/2c538915abc99946

And this: http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/7022.  Actually I
got the above from that.

>From there (username is "was", probably William Stein): "All it does
is take the plane vanilla matplotlib-0.99.1.spkg spkg and add a little
script that simply rebuilds f2font.so again using *exactly* the same
command lines used by distutils to build that extension. That's it.
For some reason -- probably involving environment variables (?) --
this fixes the problem. I consider this a temporary 1-sage release
solution until the matplotlib developers (or me) come up with a real
fix."

I downloaded that script, and reproduced the functionality with my
framework Python 2.6.  The resulting ft2font.so differs binarily from
the original ft2font, and ... indeed it runs smoothly with that
ft2font.so.

What the hell is happening here?  Is it really CXX related?  What
environmental variables are set by the mighty distutils?

Feel free to start a new thread on -devel as soon as you have some
solution or idea :-)

Friedrich