... just wanted to report this problem.

At the heart of the issue is the decision to have too many dependencies in
matplotlib (which is why I am posting here). That, although viewed as good
style, leads to an installation process that is, ultimately, practically
impossible - except by buying a prepackaged solution. (which is possible but
probably not the original intention)

What ultimately thwarts my installation attempts is the dependency on TeX.
While a good thing in principle, most packaging tools do not realize that there
is already a working TeX distribution there from another source, and will only
accept their own - which, in the case of debian/fink, can no longer be
postinstalled. It appears that I would have to uninstall and reinstall my
entire pre-existing setup just to get matplotlib to work.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Is there a workaround?

best wishes
Volker Blum