Hi Ben,

thanks for the answer, ... umm, but did the person making the change realize
that such error messages are exposed to users who do not have any idea what
python is.

I would plead(*) with anyone that functionality that is not harmful please not
be deprecated like this. Scripts based on matplotlib, as software, will have a
much longer life than that 1 year it took to deprecate this harmless function.

best wishes
Volker

(*) I know it's free software, and I have neither right nor desire to demand
anything like this. Hence the "plead".

... problem is, all we can do is evaluate whether matplotlib is safe to base
our own work on here for the long term. The simple fallout from such a
deprecation can be fixed in our own internal repository, sure ... but this
quite central script will remain broken from the point of view of our users for
a long time.