On 12/30/2011 01:57 PM, Paul Ivanov wrote:
> Eric Firing, on 2011-12-27 15:31,  wrote:
>> It looks like this is something I can fix by modifying ListedColormap.
>> It is discarding the alpha values, and I don't think there is any reason
>> it needs to do so.
>
> One of my first attempts at a contribution to matplotlib three
> years ago was related to this. It was in reply to a similar
> question on list, and I wrote a patch, but never saw it through
> to inclusion because it wasn't something I needed.
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg09216.html
>
> I think it's a helpful starting point, as I include a discussion
> on the limitation of mpl colormaps there.

Thank you. I think that some of the sorts of changes you had in your
patch have actually been made in the interim.  I now have a branch with
a few small changes that I think may be all that is necessary for full
support of variable alpha in colormaps.  I will turn it into a pull
request shortly, after a bit more testing and inclusion of an example,
assuming I don't run into a major problem along the way.

Eric