Eric Firing wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 1:11 AM, Jeff Whitaker <jsw...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>>
>> On 12/27/11 12:07 PM, Logi Ragnarsson wrote:
>>
>>> Is it supposed to be possible to do a filled contour plot with alpha levels
>>> in the colour map? I'm plotting weather data on top of maps and would very
>>> much like to plot low levels of wind and precipitation as mostly
>>> transparent, with higher levels more opaque.
>>>
>> Logi:  It looks like alpha transparency is controlled with the alpha
>> keyword, so you can't specify different alphas for each contour level.  You
>> may have to call contourf multiple times, changing the alpha as needed for
>> each set of contour levels.
>>
>> -Jeff
>
> It looks like this is something I can fix by modifying ListedColormap. It is
> discarding the alpha values, and I don't think there is any reason it needs
> to do so.
>
> Eric

I feel that this would be a worth-while improvement to the library. In
the mean-time, I have realized that the source is all there for me to
read, and I can probably create my own patched version of
ListedColormap. Actually, I've been interpolating colours to feed to
contourf, but it would be much more sensible to use a
LinearSegmentedColormap for this. Unfortunately it also discards alpha
levels.

Regards,
Logi

PS I was getting digests of the list, so I couldn't properly respond
to Eric's mail, in case the headers look funny.