Along these lines, it looks to me like plot_surface is not shading when I would
expect it to (maybe I just have the wrong expectations?)

I would expect the following to create a surface with colors from the colormap
but shading from a lightsource.

        surf = ax.plot_surface(X, Y, Z, rstride=1, cstride=1,
cmap=cm.jet,shade=True)

However, axes3d.py requires facecolors to be set in order to generate
facecolors to shade...

mpl_toolkits/mplot3d/axes3d.py
line 1378-1380 mpl v1.1.0

        # Shade the data
        if shade and cmap is not None and fcolors is not None:
            fcolors = self._shade_colors_lightsource(Z, cmap, lightsource)

should the if statement be:
        if shade and cmap is not None and fcolors is None:

I'm not sure if this will screw anything else up, but it makes a lot more sense
to me as an API. Maybe there are other reasons to require facecolors to be set?

Ethan