For posterity, Ben Root let me know off-list that the interaction bug is fixed
in the soon-to-be-released v 1.1.1.

Also, regarding documentation, I mentioned to Ben and I'll mention here too
that I'd be happy to help out where I can with what sort of information would
be helpful for getting people in my position (tons of python knowledge, but
almost none of matlab) up and running with matplotlib -- which as of now seems
to rely on similarity-with-matlab for getting new users started.

I'm obviously not the right person to write new docs, but if there's any other
way I can help, I'd be happy to.

Zach