On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Zachary Pincus <zachary.pin...@yale.edu>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm (finally) getting started with matplotlib, and am enjoying the lovely
> plot quality. However, as

Finally getting started?  You were one of our first contributors!

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=5192900

a non-matlab user, I'm finding it *extremely* difficult to figure out how
> to do even the simplest tasks / understand the code samples. (e.g. what is
> the '111' in the boilerplate calls to add_subplot() in the various
> examples? I couldn't find anything in the docs, and had to resort to the
> matlab documentation!)

The 111, and the numbering scheme in general, is covered in the pyplot
tutorial

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/pyplot_tutorial.html#working-with-multiple-figures-and-axes

and in the subplots API docs

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/api/pyplot_api.html#matplotlib.pyplot.subplot

but it looks like the Figure.add_subplot docs could use some improvement
here to explain the numbering scheme better (as pyplot.subplot does)

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/api/figure_api.html#matplotlib.figure.Figure.add_subplot

I'll try and find some time today to clean up this docstring and to improve
the pyplot tutorial to use the recommended "subplots" command.

JDH