For example, in astronomy, a lot of people will 'publish' their paper
to Arxiv before it is accepted into a journal. Arxiv is accessible by
the general public and a little digging around will reveal that you can
download the actual Latex source for the paper. This includes all of
the figures. I have never heard of anyone getting sued by a journal for
posting their stuff on the arxiv.

Steven

On Fri 05 Oct 2012 02:42:06 PM CDT, Nelle Varoquaux wrote:

> On 5 October 2012 21:23, Damon McDougall <damon.mcdoug...@gmail.com
> <mailto:damon.mcdoug...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 8:11 PM, Gökhan Sever
>     <gokhanse...@gmail.com <mailto:gokhanse...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > Seeing mpl produced plots would be only 1 or 2 clicks away, plus
>     this would
>
>     This is not true. A lot of articles are unavailable to certain
>     institutions due to a lack of subscription. A major sticking point.
>
>     Am I wrong in thinking that journals copyright the final product?
>     Thus, it would be up to the author(s) to decide whether or not to
>     'donate' a figure for a gallery.
>

> I think it depends on the journal, and on the agreement. I think in
> most journals you/your institute can pay to have your paper publicly
> available.
>
> I wouldn't be shocked if a requirement to be in the gallery would be
> to donate a figure.
>

>     > provide context to the use of plots rather that extracting
>     figures and
>     > putting them separately (dealing with copyright issues and such)
>     on an
>     > alternative gallery page. The figures you linked look shinny but
>     not much
>     > practical use in my field.
>

> I was just showing an example of a gallery of published figures. It is
> much easier to go through a gallery, to quickly see what a library is
> capable of, than clicking on links to articles, that may often be of
> closed access.
>

>     Point taken on the context argument. I'll take that. To resolve it,
>     make the figure/html image link to the underlying publication?
>

>     --
>     Damon McDougall
>     http://www.damon-is-a-geek.com
>     B2.39