I see you are using matplotlib 1.0.1. There have been several memory leak
bugs fixed since then, so I would suggest upgrading. I also notice you are
using the "emf" backend for saving figures. If I remember correctly, that
backend has been deprecated (or maybe even removed) in the latest release
(v1.3.x).  So, i would suggest trying v1.2.1. It does contain many bugfixes
and should still be compatible with your existing code.

I should also warn that the behavior with pyplot.ion() was "odd" back in
the 1.0.1 days and prior. If you are just simply running the script as-is
with a more recent matplotlib, or with a different backend in v1.0.1, the
script might behave a little differently than you'd expect. We would
welcome feedback on your usage of pyplot.ion().

Cheers!
Ben Root