Von: bounce-117304343-69334...@list.cornell.edu
[bounce-117304343-69334...@list.cornell.edu]" im Auftrag von "Roman
Korab [roman.ko...@polsl.pl]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 15. Juli 2014 08:24
An: MATPOWER discussion forum
Betreff: Re: Convergence issues: OPF simulation of several interconnected
countries

Hi Patrick,

I have some experience with solving OPF for European transmission network,
especially for Central and Eastern Europe grids. In my case I was able to
solve OPF problem only by using KNITRO optimization procedure (other
procedures implemented in MATPOWER failed). During my studies I discovered
that in most situations the capacity (line MVA rating) of the tie lines was
sufficient, but congestions appeared in internal networks of individual
countries. So, as Ray said, a good approach is to relax the MVA ratings of
all lines gradually until you get convergence. The other approach, that I
used during my studies with European network, was to start solving OPF
without any branch limits and, after getting corvengence, gradually tighten
constraints using previous results as a starting point to the next step.
After getting convergence in some step you can also compare the MVA power
flows that you obtained with realistic MVA rates of individual branches. In
that way you can find branches with not enough capacity.

Best regards
Roman