From: bounce-125723610-88411...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-125723610-88411...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Russ Patterson
Sent: Monday, June 21, 2021 11:13 AM
To: 'MATPOWER discussion forum'
Subject: RE: Negative resistance

Hi Simone,

Actually, it looks like PSS/E just converts 3-winding pair-wise data to the T
equivalent model (just like in the attachment I sent you in previous email).
Then it just models as three 2-winding transformers (the node in the middle is
fictitious but needed for the mathematical model).  See page 2 here:
https://static.dc.siemens.com/datapool/us/SmartGrid/docs/pti/2010July/PDFS/Modeling%20of%20Three%20Winding%20Voltage%20Regulating%20Transformers.pdf

Here is a link to the MATPOWER documentation where you can find details on the
psse2mpc() function:  https://matpower.org/docs/ref/matpower5.1/menu5.1.html
It calls another function (psse_convert_xfmr) which has these lines of code
below:

0187     R1 = (R12+R31-R23) ./ 2;

0188     R2 = (R12+R23-R31) ./ 2;

0189     R3 = (R31+R23-R12) ./ 2;

0190     X1 = (X12+X31-X23) ./ 2;

0191     X2 = (X12+X23-X31) ./ 2;

0192     X3 = (X31+X23-X12) ./ 2;

The above is simply the conversion from pair-wise test data to the T model.

Which make it pretty clear that, aside from all the data structure manipulation
and other “foggy” items), it is just building the T model and then making 3
two-winding transformers as the first link above describes.

Best regards,

russ