On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 12:46:08AM +0300, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2015 22:28:15 +0200 "Yury V. Zaytsev" <y...@shurup.com> wrote:
> > For example, one could have set up a script to import Trac tickets
> > into Github Issues. There are many half-way working scripts floating
> > around, but they need testing and fixing. Last time, Savannah import
> > into Trac took quite some effort, but it turned out to be very
> > worthwhile.
>
> You again trying to over-complicate. Start from a clean page on github,
> while invite community to migrate issues from trac to github. Most
> content on trac from people who gave up on mc long ago. It makes sense
> to process what active people are interested in and leave old stuff
> where it is.

nonsense. the old infrastructure is going to disappear at some point,
and everything on it will be lost. it is entirely irrelevant that many
of the people lost interest - most of the issues are still valid, and
a lot of time went into discussing solutions. it would be plain stupid
to throw this away, never mind the disregard for other people's work.

> I have couple of my patches accepted into mc (trivial, yes, it's on a
> non-trivial thing I stuck due to lack of discussion), so pass one
> criteria I myself proposed. My maintainership program would be:
>
> 1. Tear off all the unmaintainable code.

see, statements like that make me hope very much that you never get
direct write access to the repository.

> 3. Require patches with good descriptions (including references), try
> to respond to pull requests quickly with suggestion, close those
> which weren't got into shape in 1 month as unmaintainable.

that's a nice plan, but requires a quite substantial committment to put
into action. which brings us back to yury's conclusions.