Hello, Frédéric!

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, [iso-8859-1] Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> OK, since vfs/samba/configure was ran, I decided to take a
> look at the output.

You must be using an old version of MC. I'm pretty sure that the current
MC (either CVS or a snapshot from http://www.red-bean.com/~proski/mc/)
doesn't run the samba config unless you specify --with-samba.

> I noticed that although I have LFS support (glibc 2.2.2 was
> compiled against 2.4.1 headers), configure:
>
> checking if large file support can be enabled... no

Well, the samba configure was full of tests useful only for the samba
server. I made a very serious cleanup in vfs/samba, and this test was
removed. I cannot find words "large file support" in my
vfs/samba/configure.

> checking configure summary... WARNING: no shared memory.
> Running with slow locking code

This is probably fixed too.

One remaining problem is that configire cannot find how to determine the
broadcast address on Linux (it's funny, but it works on OpenBSD 2.7), so
network browsing will probably fail unless you create samba.conf in the
directory where MC is trying to find it and put something reasonable
there.

Use strace to find out where MC looks for samba.conf - it's very messy,
but it's our common problem that such raw patches as smbfs support were
allowed to be added to the codebase. Anyway, it's easier to clean stuff up
than to reimplement it :-)

> configure:8506: /usr/local/src/CVS/mc/vfs/samba/tests/shared_mmap.c: No such file or
>directory

Something must be wrong with your environment. Your "configure" is not
up-to-date. You need a clean checkout, or at least rerun autogen.sh.

> I don't know if it may be a problem for smbfs users, but
> thought about reporting. Maybe configure.in should be fixed?

It _is_ fixed. But for some reason your "configure" is old.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin