On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 10:58, Yury V. Zaytsev <y...@shurup.com> wrote:
> Sebastian, if you are motivated and have time to do some serious work on
mc, maybe we should talk about a vision first?

Thanks for the invite! Yes I'm motivated, I find it very entertaining to
work on mc.

I wish someone had taken the time instead to integrate the Lua fork by
> mooffie. Unfortunately he wasn't up to maintaining his work of a genius
> (no kidding) and we don't have resources to take it over.

I think that he had one initial mistake, if I can say so – he scripted mc
and not mcedit. I think that it's an editor that can gain most of a
scripting engine, not a filemanager.

> In as far as S-Lang scripting is concerned, it's definitively easy to bolt
> it on, but I really wouldn't want to live with the resulting mess. Our
> code base is already in a shape bad enough...

I have a very pleasant experience with S-Lang. I've ran my first script
displaying a listbox from script after ~2 hours of hacking – thanks to
Slirp, the S-Lang version of Swig. It works very, surprisingly well! And it
has all the advanced features of Swig (take a look at
examples/kitchensink/slirprc if you have time). It looks solid.

Basically, to simply export a function to S-Lang, all that is required is
to run: slirp header.h, with the declaration in that file and to compile
and link the resulting header_glue.c (that slirp automatically creates)!

What concerns me about S-Lang is that it's not an object oriented language
and that it doesn't have a bool type. However, that might be a good thing,
as the engine and the vision will be light thanks to this, maybe…

It doesn't make sense to me for you invest your valuable time only to get
> your patches criticized or rejected or just rotting on the tracker without
> any feedback. If we can agree on a direction, then I think it will be good
> for all of us, if we can't - at least it will be good for you, because
> then you can spare your time arguing with us and directly setup a fork
> instead... :-)

Yes, I had such hunches too. So my intentions are:
– to make the gem, that mcedit is, more popular,
– to make it grow and flourish mainly by the light scripting engine, but
also by regular C work (like e.g.: the tags objects in listboxes patch –
really, I don't know how I was using the various Vim tags plugins for
years, as it's the mcedit's way – a simple listbox (which can be just built
in) – that is the right way to do tags :)
– then to utilize the scripting also in regular mc and see what ideas will
come up.

I'm constantly having ideas on mcedit improvements. I'm saving them to a
file… It had like 80 entries, but I've just accidentally deleted it hours
ago via a miserable rm -f **/*.#* glob (it expands to all files, not just
those with hash in them, so look out) :( however I have a backup that has
~50 entries, uf … So maybe I could do a wish list on the wiki out of it?

PS. This gives an idea for an improvement – a saving of the backup file to
a predefined directory outside the current tree… Could be done as a script
plugin, maybe.

--

--
Sebastian Gniazdowski