On 2023-08-05 21:00, mi via mc wrote:

It rather looks like erase history  with Shift+H  then Shift+Delete  does not
delete anything in  ~/.local/share/mc/history ... and ~/.config/ini other_dir
has one very old entry, it seems like an artefact.

My thought (and this would have fit better in the other thread) would be to put your $HOME on tmpfs. Your history saves normally, and it's usable from session to session, until a reboot. You could populate your ~/.mc and other settings from safe defaults, with a script at boot time. (In cases where you do need to save settings changes, you can update the safe defaults with a simple cp command.)

tmpfs in Linux uses swap to keep files out of active RAM. So this is an issue I solved long ago: at boot time I generated a random passphrase to encrypt the loop device. Even I could not decrypt it, because the passphrase was never saved.

Note: this scheme was created for similar concerns. I am thankful that in the ~24 years since then, the feared attack never occurred. I did, however, suffer a theft of my machine in 2008 (not by police.)

# mc --version...
--
   http://rob0.nodns4.us/