Thanks, Rob and Andrew !

I can merge the two suggestions ...

in a login script like ~/.profile or some script around starting X session,

mkdir -m 0600 /tmp/mc && export MC_PROFILE_ROOT=/tmp/mc

I've moved /tmp to tmpfs on all my machines, many years ago. I think it's even
default now on most distros, and since quite some time ?

I'm also copying ini now. To clarify i inserted a custom section on top, like

[hello_santa]
ho_ho_ho=1

and it seems to work.

One more question, mc seems to create a folder /tmp/mc-user  (by username) and
it's always empty for me.

Does anybody know what this is used for ?

Encrypting swap reminds me of that experiment, decades ago, when a friend moved
swap to a floppy disk. Hahaha. Immediately frozen.
What a deal!