Hi Marty,

My advice is to decide which platform is the best for you and not obsess about
the networking piece. Here at the U of A we are pretty much all PC across
campus, but we've been using a Mac to run our Better Light scanning back for
several years. In fact we've been doing a bunch of stuff for you guys at MFAH
lately... It took a while to develop a work flow, but we do have the Mac on the
network, in limited manner, and we dump image files off the Mac to a designated
area where they are then backed up and processed in the PC environment. I would
hazard a guess that the stability of the Mac OS platform has saved us a lot of
heartache - although the Better Light is absolutely bullet proof, so that is
large factor in our success as well. As far as functionality, there isn't that
much that a Mac can do that a PC can't these days, but it seems like they do
what they're supposed to a lot more of the time, and when you're producing
large numbers of very large image files, that definitely matters. I would also
strongly suggest consulting with the tech support department of whoever makes
your capture device.

Good luck!

Denise Gos?
Rights and Reproductions Manager