From: mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu [mailto:mcn-l-boun...@mcn.edu] On Behalf Of
Stein, Marty
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 11:35 AM
To: mcn-l at mcn.edu
Subject: [MCN-L] Tricky question - is Mac "better" than PC?

Hello,

We are hoping that the wonderful members of mcn-l can help us with a
question we are debating here in Houston.  I hope this isn't a question
that has been posed recently to the list and I've just missed it.

We are currently involved in a project to convert out photo studio from
film to digital.  It's a very exciting project, but it has brought up an
old question that I had hoped to avoid - the dreaded "Is Mac better for
graphic applications than PC?" question.

The MFAH is predominantly PC-based, with only a few Macs in our Graphics
department.  Our IT department would like to keep it this way, but a
consultant has recommended that our new photo studio and imaging lab use
Macs.  Our current digital equipment is running on PCs and it seems to
work just fine.  Since we're making decisions about pretty expensive new
equipment we want to make sure that we're not overlooking anything.

Can anyone explain why Macs are better for graphics and digital imaging
than PCs?  Not just that graphic designers and photographers prefer
Macs, but why they're different and better?  This would be a great help
and I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Marty

Marcia (Marty) Stein
Photographic Services Manager
The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
PO Box 6826
Houston, Texas 77265-6826

Phone: (713) 639-7525
Fax: (713) 639-7557
Email: mstein at mfah.org

You are currently subscribed to mcn-l, the listserv of the Museum
Computer Network (http://www.mcn.edu)

To post to this list, send messages to: mcn-l at mcn.edu