>From a tech support point of view:

1) I agree with those who have stated the position that there is little
difference in performance potential.

2) As a hardware nut, I personally suspect that a powerhouse PC could be
built with better price/performance ratio than a MAC. Commodity
economics. I wonder how many PCs are built for each MAC (10:1, 100:1 or
more?)

3) Utility software:
There is very little (if any) utility software that isn't available for
PC.
Availability for MAC is far more patchy.
I use a bunch of highly useful and powerful tools like Symantec Ghost,
Anti-Virus, file management any many other obscure and handy tools that
are often not available for MAC.

4) PCs integrate easily into my PC support systems (AV, backup etc.)
MACs require extra effort, resources and tools to accommodate.

5) Regardless of merit, having 2 classes of computer rather than 1
creates extra support workload, regardless of which may be better. VHS
is technically inferior to Betamax, and certainly Philips 2000 (ever
heard of that?) yet nobody would ever advocate adopting either of the
latter pair.

6) While many techs respect MACs, I've never yet met a tech who actually
advocated for them. Think about that. Frankly, the individuals I've
encountered who most vociferously advocate for them generally have
little technical background. As a techie I therefore find it hard to
find their positions compelling. If I want advice on a well-engineered
car I'm more likely to listen to a mechanic than a taxi driver.

Let's be clear: I'm not anti-MAC. I'm just not pro-MAC, and I've not
been convinced yet by anybody who is.

David M

David Marsh
System Administrator
H.R. MacMillan Space Centre
Vancouver Museum
1100 Chestnut Street, Vancouver, BC V6J 3J9
E sysadmin at hrmacmillanspacecentre.com
    sysadmin at vanmuseum.bc.ca
T (604) 736 4431 ext. 5507
C (604) 813 9667