On 17/09/2012 23:51, Ruth Cuadra wrote:
> David,
>
> You ask a good question. At the Getty Vocabulary Program, we recommend that
> you concatenate a recommended Label to identify the place.
While a label is useful for human consumption, it does need to be
"parsed" by a human reader, and its meaning unpicked. Conversely, the
Getty TGN identifier (e.g. 7005124 for Orvieto) provides an unambiguous
identity for the place in question.
> On a related topic: As I presented at a few conferences this summer, we are
> investigating the possibility of developing URIs for the Getty vocabularies.
> Although we are not certain this will happen, many of us here are optimistic.
> We will announce progress on this front when it is resolved.
That would be /so/ useful.  If you were to define a URL pattern such as
e.g.

http://data.getty.edu/vocabulary/tgn/7005124

and simply redirect standard HTTP requests following that pattern to
your existing HTML URLs, e.g.:

http://www.getty.edu/vow/TGNFullDisplay?find=Orvieto&place=&nation=&prev_page=1&english=Y&subjectid=7005124

you would have the beginnings of a Linked Data manifestation of the TGN.
(Ditto for ULAN and AAT, of course.)  All you then need to do is to
support content negotiation on the Linked Data URLs, and offer a
machine-processible subset of the data when RDF etc. is requested.
Meanwhile, all of your users would have a form of URL which they could
quote on their own web sites when they wanted to express, unambiguously,
the Getty concepts in their data.

Best wishes,

Richard

--