>From Patricia Harpring:

We are indeed working toward a short, simple URI that will be persistent and
predicatable. Stay tuned. We hope to make progress within the next several
months.

On 17/09/2012 23:51, Ruth Cuadra wrote:> David,>> You ask a good question. At
the Getty Vocabulary Program, we recommend that you concatenate a recommended
Label to identify the place.While a label is useful for human consumption, it
does need to be "parsed" by a human reader, and its meaning unpicked.
Conversely, the Getty TGN identifier (e.g. 7005124 for Orvieto) provides an
unambiguous identity for the place in question.> On a related topic: As I
presented at a few conferences this summer, we are investigating the
possibility of developing URIs for the Getty vocabularies. Although we are not
certain this will happen, many of us here are optimistic. We will announce
progress on this front when it is resolved.That would be /so/ useful. If you
were to define a URL pattern such as e.g.
http://data.getty.edu/vocabulary/tgn/7005124 and simply redirect standard HTTP
requests following that pattern to your existing HTML URLs, e.g.:
http://www.getty.edu/vow/TGNFullDisplay?find=Orvieto&place=&nation=&prev_page=1&english=Y&subjectid=7005124
 you would have the beginnings of a Linked Data manifestation of the TGN.
(Ditto for ULAN and AAT, of course.) All you then need to do is to support
content negotiation on the Linked Data URLs, and offer a machine-processible
subset of the data when RDF etc. is requested. Meanwhile, all of your users
would have a form of URL which they could quote on their own web sites when
they wanted to express, unambiguously, the Getty concepts in their data. Best
wishes, Richard> Sincerely,>> Patricia-- *Richard Light*