David, thanks for the response. We currently use Drop Box and You Send It
for file transfers, but my goal here is not to actually transfer and allow
access to the files. What I am after is a simple method for museum staff to
simply browse the available event and publicity images. Once they found what
they wanted, they would still need to contact the image library to obtain a
copy in the appropriate size for their use.

As an example, if we photograph an event or program and generate 75-100
images, we will send "contact sheets" of the images to the original
requestor. But, often the images could serve multiple purposes for other
users and we currently have no method for other staff to then see those
images without making an appointment with the image librarian or sending
contact sheets to everyone. Both of which are a little to laborious and
inconvenient.

My hope is that one of the online photo sharing sites will provide the
browsing and cataloging we need, but be secure and private enough to monitor
in house distribution and use.

Based on Perian's experience it seems like it should work as a temporary
solution, although we do not intend to use it for collection images.

-Travis

On 8/17/10 9:56 PM, "dlewisarfm at aol.com" <dlewisarfm at aol.com> wrote:

 Travis,

For what you want to do - why not consider some sorta file-sharing
> website?    There are many out there.   The one we use is "Drop Box" --
> https://www.dropbox.com   They allow 2GB free storage, easy file transfers,
> and even create "thumbnails" and gallery views for photos uploaded into your
> special "Photos" folder.

- David -
David Lewis, Curator
Aurora Regional