We are not quite in the same boat, being a science museum, but I will
answer anyway. We installed a wireless network mainly because we have
multiple meeting rooms that we rent out to other
businesses/organizations and they pretty much demanded it. As our
meeting rooms along with our computer lab are scattered all over the
facility, we basicly ended up with building wide coverage. I have like 8
access points now. We have this semi-open to the public. It has an
encryption key, but it is just the name of the facility and anyone that
asks can get it. Up to now, the bandwidth drain of public use has been
negligable. We HAVE had issues with the facilities rental groups eating
up everything available, especially when they get 15-20 laptops going. I
am in the process now of negotiating faster internet, which I hope will
cure the issues.

Elton Prater
Exhibits, IT, Building Mgr
Science Spectrum