I've found ning sites particularly useful for creating ad hoc social
networks with a specific audience, content or goal.  Wikis are better
for collaboratively creating content, but lack the social elements of
a ning.  You can set customised profile questions on a ning that help
your members learn useful and relevant information about each others,
without all the extra personal detail they'd get on a site like
Facebook.

The problem I've found is that they lack lightweight tools for
notifying members of new content or activity - the RSS feeds supplied
are very useful if your audience already knows how RSS works, but
otherwise you have to send 'broadcast' messages to members.  Done well
it could be a useful digest of news, but it feels a little spammy.

cheers, Mia
http://openobjects.blogspot.com