The default audio inputs that come with your computer are probably not
very good, so you need to have an audio card to which you would plug
in your cassette player. These are relatively inexpensive, as is the
audio capture software you would want to use. We use Adobe Audition,
but on my Mac at home, I use a "Limited Edition" version of Peak with
considerable success.

I would not go crazy worrying about perfect settings--you are, after
all, capturing from cassette tape--not a high fidelity medium.

Our naming scheme for similar work has been to incorporate the name
and the date of the recording, with a "-#" to indicate which tape in a
multiple tape recording, e.g., for Jane Doe's interviews, a folder
called Doe_Jane20050314 (or Doe_Jane_2005-03-14, or whatever is
convenient), and then files called Arditti_Rita20050314-1.wav, etc.

We save files in .WAV format--WAV is a reasonable wrapper that should
preserve the fidelity of the original. We then generate MP3 files for
presentation--putting things on a CD for playing in a CD player or
uploading to a website. But you don't want to go straight to mp3
because one day, when there are better tools, you will be stuck with
the degraded, lossy mp3 file you settled for initially. What yo want
is to be able to regenerate files every few years to whatever standard
is then current, up to the fidelity limits of that originally captured
file.

You can comfortably use CD-ROM or DVD for working copies of files, but
they are emphatically not preservation media. For that, you pretty
much need live storage--a local RAID array and, preferably, two or
more remote live disk systems for redundancy and disaster recovery.

Metadata should include data on the contents, including geolocation,
date or dateTime, as relevant, original media--Dublin Core provides a
very reasonable starting point for descriptive metadata. And, any
repository or DAM software should be able to pick up technical
metadata automatically (file format, size, checksum or other file
integrity check). Preservation metadata can be expressed using PREMIS,
but you would have to figure out what is appropriate. At a minimum,
that would include information on what you have done with the
original, what derivatives have been created, any migration info as it
accumulates, etc.

That's probably the minimal basics--and even a bit more, depending on
the actual project. Someone doing more work in this can probably chime
in to point you to the relevant current specs. I'd see what is posted
in the MCN digital media SIG page which should cover this and other
subjects (but for all sorts of good reasons, starting with busy people
and our lives, may not).

Hope this helps,
ari

P.S. When we did a large project of this sort, we actually hired
someone who had a disk/tape transfer studio in his photo studio to do
the transfers for us very inexpensively. We lucked out--he was very
attentive. We also weren't terribly worried since, as I said at the
beginning, we =were= starting from cassette tape, and barring utter
malfeasance, there was little the transfer process was likely to add
in the way of noise.