Cindy--

You are right to ask about the advantages and disadvantages of cloud storage.
There are many bullet points on both sides!
To give a few examples of both:

PRO
Realtively cheap for huge amounts of data storage space
Your institution does not have to pay for continually updating
systems/hardware/software related to servers and desktop computers
Potentially very easy access from any web connection

CON
If the cloud server goes down, you have no ability to fix it. You just have to
wait.
When your data is off-site with a third party you don't have control over it.
You will think you do though!
Having mulitple users accessing the same files at the same time can get tricky
with off-site storage

When I consult on this topic with museums I will have a discussion about how to
break apart the storage data into related chuncks. Image databases can be in
the Terabyte range. No doubt you have confidential or sensitive records which I
would suggest should be stored locally. Ultimately, try not to look at cloud
storage as a "yes" or "no" question, but a way to selectively lighten the
burden of your in-house system/servers.

Best,

Adam Mikos