Ari, you have many good points. Your point out the level of IT expertise
generally found on a museum staff, usually quite limited (I think you were
saying the same) is right on. However, I think museums large and small will
have to consider rectifying that. Just because the cloud is cheap and easy
doesn't necessarily mean that all technical problems are solved by passing them
to someone else. If you have a collection at a museum do you stop collecting if
you don't have the appropriate staff to maintain it? Probably not. In this
case, as everyone goes further and further with technology it wll become a
critical function to have an actual IT on staff. Even if only part-time or
under contract.

For me, it is a question of looking ahead at what ordinary functions at museums
will look like in 5, 10 and 15 years. The cloud is certainly part of it, but
institutions will have to embrace that technology will be an integral part of
their success. If it isn't already.

Adam