This question gave me deja vu! Here's what I said 11 years ago in reply to a related question:

http://www.mail-archive.com/mcn-l@mcn.edu/msg08999.html

I don't know if perl would be the right language, or is mdb is the right way to keep the results, but this job is so easy to do with simple scripts of almost any kind that I think I would still talk to a developer and get a simple program/macro written, in whatever system(s) you already use.

Checksum utils tend to be cross-platform, and so are lots of scripting languages, so I don't think you'd have significant windows/mac issues going this route.

Best,
Matt