On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Magic wrote:

> It costs more in hard drive storage space and necessary hardware to store
> all those CDs than it does to buy a 200CD jukebox player. That pretty much
> eliminates the "want everything in one place" argument.

Well, let's see. My MP3s are currently 5GB and currently I've got a 14GB
and a 8.4GB drive. What I don't fill up w/ MP3s, I fill up w/ other stuff.
I don't actually buy my hard drive space for MP3s. It's rather, "I've got
the extra space, so why not?"

> MP3 is all very well if you like computer-based toys, but I prefer proper
> audio equipment. I wonder how long it would take you to re-rip all those CDs
> to HD if your hard drive needed reformatting because you caught a virus, or
> hardware failure.

Oh, that would suck big time. Hmmm. That's right. I knew there was a good
reason I ought to burn my MP3s to CD-Rs. Hmmm. Heh.

But of course, you've sidestepped my point again. My original post stated
that both MP3 and MD have their strength and weaknesses. I keep a winamp
playlist on my desktop and the contents change every so often. With a
portable MP3 player, I'll just take these songs and pop'em into it (if I
can't fit all, I'll fit as much as possible). With MDs?

Man, I may as well as spend the time ripping the CDs to MP3s.

There's room for both format guys. Is MD going to catch on in the US? I
can't say. I've followed MD development since 1996 and even today, it's
still not that big. It's gotten bigger but ... well, let's just say we
won't be having this debate if MD usage is actually "that big." What I
find amusing is how this recent debate has shown the attitudes of some
people toward MDs... too similar to the "Linux rox" camp that it gives me
the creeps. Not only that, it means that MD will forever be a nice market,
like Linux is. (Don't get me started on it. Both Microsoft and Linux have
good and bad points...)

Either way, I couldn't care less what other people use. If we're moving
toward solid state, so be it. A recent test conducted said people prefered
Microsoft's media format than MP3s. While I have a funny feeling about the
whole testing procedure, I think it can only get better. MDs will be
outdated sooner or later, much like every other recording medium. The
question is not "Will it?" but "When?"

Albert