Martin wrote"

BTW, to get back on topic,
I'd love to have a compression feature for MD walkmen like
the R50 and for car players. I often want to play back
my favourite recordings at low volume in areas with a
lot of background noise and I have to turn up the volume
quite a bit to hear enough."

Well actually there are devices that are presently being designed and may
already exist that alter the music "volume" when being played in noisy
environments. However they operate by increasing the parts of the spectrum
which are most degraded by the ambient noise. For example engine and road
noises will typically be low frequencies and hence will mask out the lower
frequencies of the music. Naturally one can just increase the base to
correct this effect slightly, but an adaptive system which constantly
measures the ambient noise and then increases the spectral magnitude with
respect to psychoacoustic principles may lead to non perceivable ambient
noise.... Well Maybe.

Mark