> Wouldn't this be dangerous in driving situations?  If "white noise" is
> introduced to eliminate the road noise, to get purer sound from the stereo

I don't think "white noise" is introduced to eliminate road noise.  What Mark
was trying to say is that there would be a microphone which measures the level
of background noise (due to the road,engine,...etc) and then increases the freq.
range of your music which has been masked by this white noise.  If there are
designs currently under way, I would assume that one of the definitions of
"background noise" is that it's relatively stationary time wise.  i.e. doesn't
change much over a long time period. (such as road noise, engine noise, ..etc)
Sirens from police vehicles change quite rapidly and would not qualify as
background noise (to the system) and the music would not be affected.

It's probably somewhat similar to noise cancelling headphones, you try to cancel
out the background noise, but it won't cancel out someones voice.

> Well actually there are devices that are presently being designed and may
> already exist that alter the music "volume" when being played in noisy
> environments. However they operate by increasing the parts of the spectrum
> which are most degraded by the ambient noise. For example engine and road
> noises will typically be low frequencies and hence will mask out the lower
> frequencies of the music. Naturally one can just increase the base to
> correct this effect slightly, but an adaptive system which constantly
> measures the ambient noise and then increases the spectral magnitude with
> respect to psychoacoustic principles may lead to non perceivable ambient
> noise.... Well Maybe.

W. Zhang
Speech and Information Processing Lab, University of Waterloo
519-884-4567x3138/x5228, DC3732

---
Quote of the Day:

        The difference between an amateur and a professional in
        the computer business is the number of backups they make.