As Ralph states in his last email chip design is limited by the lythography
process(defining features onto the silicon waffer). Actually as an aside by
decreasing the wavelength of radiation used the lythography process
obviously becomes more accurate; they already use UV and (I think) will
soon use x-rays (if not already). None the less there is massive cost in
producing very large amounts of memory if even possible. So for Solid state
audio to take off a high compression ratio must be used. Strictly speeking
a die-hard audiophile could use a higher data rate, but they wouldn't get
much music to listen to. I am sure once a suitable CODEC is released which
offers convincing quality, solid audio will be the only way.

Mark