[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > Ralph Smeets wrote:
> >
> >  ALL and I mean ALL chip-manufactures use a
> > photographic process to produce chips. The masks use contain details of
> > only
> > 0.15 micro-meter wide. <snip> We're probably able to reduce the details of
> > the chip with this
> > process two times, but after that it's over.... Ie, we need to find
> > another
> > proces to build chips. And we haven't got a clue yet on how to do it!
> >
>         About 12 years ago, I read that hard disks had more or less reached
> their physical limits, and would soon become obsolete. In the intervening
> time, they have continued to double in capacity every year. A little lateral
> thinking can overturn a bushel of logic. One person's intrinsic physical
> limit is someone else's irrelevant side-issue. I've been reading recently
> about X-ray lithography, can't remember how it works, but someone has found
> out how to focus X-rays, giving a couple of orders of magnitude finer
> resolution.

True. But remember that focusing X-Rays is only one of the many challenges when
you want move from invisible ultra violet light now used to another technology.

> > So we can make flash-chips more dencer by a factor of 2 to 4. But a
> > flash-memory-card will still stay expensive since the die (the chip) cost
> > will
> > stay at about 3 dollards! And like we all know, MD's are being sold for 3
> > dollards or less!
> >
>         While this sounds entirely plausible, I still bet you'll eat your
> words. Predicting the future is a losing game, it always turns out to be
> weirder, yet more familiar than you thought.
>
>         simon

We will probably use holographic storage. IBM has alread proven that it can put
1GigaBit (256Mbytes) in a device as small as a sugarcube. And no moving parts!
Reading and writing can be done using a laser.

Cheers,
Ralph
Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE