[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> DON'T USE THEM!!  Unless, as a last resort to get a broken unit working
> before you send it in for repairs.  Lens cleaners can damage the lens
> and put scratches on it.  It is best to leave it alone. If youare having
> trouble with it tracking, try gently blowing dirt out of  the unit with
> air.
>
> When it comes to the lens, keep in mind the old adage.... If it ain't
> broke, don't fix it.
>
> Paul Johnson wrote:
> >
> > So far, I have avoided buying the $20 lens-cleaning disk for my Sharp 722
> > MD recorder.  However, I find myself using the recorder a lot, so my
> > questions are:
> >
> > How important is it to use a lens cleaner?  How often should the lens be
> > cleaned?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Paul

Jim is right. The lens of the laser used for reading an MD or a CD is made out
of plastic and can be scratch very easily. A scratched lens looses it's
focussing capabilities when scractched, resulting in more errors.

Dirt/dust can be blown 'out' of the unit using a hairdryer at cold usign a low
speed setting.

Cheers,
Ralph -> Never cleaned his CD or MD player/recorder!

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE