[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Look, it's slow at work, ok? :)
>
> Wouldn't plastic be more susceptible to being scratched than glass?  Why
> else (besides cost) would they use a material that could render the unit
> useless if it's scratched?
>
> -sb

1) AFAIK most of todays CD lenses are made out of plastic. Why would an MD lens
be different?

2) As an enthousiastic of making photographs, I know quite some stuff about
lenses.
   a) Always clean a lens with a special lens paper. If not, you risc damaging
the
      coating on the lens. (Which is some sort of plastic!)
   b) Clean your lens from the inside to the outside making circles.

As for a: 1) plastic on plastic will give scratches.
          2) the lens is probably 'heated' due to the laser light, hence:
             more prone to scratches!
As for b: I must yet see the first brush on a lens-cleaner that makes a circular
movement from the inside of the lens towards the outside of the lens ;-)

Cheers,
Ralph -> seen 2 or 3 CD players with a damaged lens to support this theory!

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE