meeder wrote:

> I was just wondering... Why are the characters Ö, Ä, Å, Ë, etc. not included
> in the MD format, it's not a big problem but it is a little irritating that
> I can't title some tracks and/or discs.

I won't sign the statement that these characters are missing, perhaps
they are defined in the system, but not implemented in the units. Maybe
it's a situation similar to the former DCC titling. The home units only
gave you the possibility to use upper case characters, the numbers and
some basic symbols, not more. If you inserted a pre-rec tape, what did
you see? The whole range of lower case characters, if coded by the
record company. Someone told me that the system could handle complete
ASCII, but no manufacturer implemented all ASCII characters in the
titling menu.

Do you know what was better with the DCC titling system? Lyrics were
defined in the system, so that you could read the song text on a
scrolling display during listening. Because of this was such a superior
feature, no pre-rec tape I know used it....    ;-)

Ralf