nick wrote:

> G'day..
>

> As for portability, i was looking at the Sony MZ-E33.. which is reasonably
> priced, and uses atrac-4, apparently.. it has the good headphone amp in it
> that the original recorder has - i need it to drive some beefy sennheisers
> :)

I'd recommend the Sony MZ-R50, has a 40sec antishock, good battery life.

I had the MZ-R50 until it was stolen and was very pleased with it, recently I
purchased the MZ-R55
which is nice, small and funky, but has a poor battery life.

if I were to buy a new MD, I'd carefully look at the new Panasonic SJ-MR100,
it has an excellent battery life, world's smallest/lightest portable MD
recorder.

look here: http://members.aol.com/ucirob/PanasonicSJ-MR100/home.htm

> I've heard a few things about it tho - it only has a 10 second anti-shock
> memory, and apparently this model is more susceptible to shocks than
> others.. does anyone own one, and go running with it? find any problems?

I'm not sure about that, I never looked at the E33, isn't it kinda old?

I wouldn't recommend 10sec buffer if you plan to use it as a portable device.

> For the home deck, i was gonna do the whole Sony thing and get the
> MDS-JE330. As this is going to be something i'm looking at having for the
> next 5 or more years, are there any technical limitations which this model
> has which will piss me off in a year or so's time?

Why do you need a deck, you can use any of the portables just fine, connected to
an amplifier.

> Buying a CD deck without an optical out really ticked me off, but luckily
> the shop is going to trade it up to one with an optical for about $120..
>
> the whole bundle, cd upgrade and everything, will come out at about $1000..
> which is a lot, and i dont intend to re-spend in a few years time.

that's quite a lot, you can get much better deals.

> Any input will be appreciated..
> Keep in mind, tho, that australia doesnt have the largest range of .. well
> .. anything :)

You can always order it, get it shipped, etc.
it might cost a little more for shipment (or a lot more) but it might be worth
it.

when you said $1000, were you talking about Australian or US dollars?

> and sony more or less has a monopoly going.. which means they
> sell us the stuff that is obsolete to the rest of the world, and they charge
> the world for it.. and thats the sorta thing i'm interested in getting :) in
> my experience, sony is a quality brand, and i regret buying yamaha equipment
> over the good ole sony label..

what kind of yamaha equipment are you talking about? yamaha is a good brand too.

Cheers.