Benk wrote,

| I made a copy CD copy of Beastie Boys Root Down EP. It was made on Ricoh(I
| think) CD burner. Im not sure the exact process used, but anyway, I can
| make digital copies to MD from this CD copy.  I thought that SCMS prevented
| this. Either I am mistaken or, the Beastie Boys didn't set their SCMS.

Is the Ricoh a standalone CD recorder, or is it a computer peripheral?  If
it's a computer peripheral, then it is not subject to SCMS (nor protected
from suit under the AHRA).

And in what format was the EP?  In my youth an "EP" was a tightly-grooved
vinyl 45 that fit two songs on each side.  If you made the CD from an analog
signal, even obeying SCMS, the SCMS bits of the CD would properly be set to
allow one further generation of copying.  That would explain how you were
able to copy the CD to MD.

If the EP is on a digital medium, yes, it is possible that its SCMS bits were
set for unrestricted recopying.

| Also, I recently bought Ramones Mania, and when I put it into the CD player
| it said it was 76 minutes long.  I thought maybe it was some mistake, so I
| copied it to MD and sure enough, it wouldn't fit.

There are ways to tweak the CD standard to fit in up to about 81 minutes.
Many of the CDs in my collection exceed 79 minutes (though copying them to
a 74m59s MD would be no problem as almost all of those include some mono
material).

Somewhere on the net there used to be a page listing the longest CDs, and
some exceeded eighty minutes.