> that someone else might be able to help give you an answer.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >sorry, this seemed like the easiest way to get an answer for my
> >frustrating problem, i am sure it is very common.  anyway, as of
> >today, i own a SHARP MDS702 recorder.  I used the analog inputs, and
> >plugged the rca cords into the video 2 rec in input, then set the
> >reciever to CD, and tried to record, i had the recording levels and
> >all set up, then i pushed play, and recording began, after about 5
> >seconds the display of my sharp read : DEFECT!, i looked it up in
> >troubleshooting and it said this means the MD you are recording on is
> >scratched, i then opened up a new never used MD, and again, it said
> >DEFECT! after 5 seconds.  what is wrong, and what do i have to do, i
> >tried calling sharp, that got me absolutely no where.

It sounds like a dud unit to me (I assume you havent't dropped it like a
few guys on md-l do, accidently?)  My advice is take it back, demand a
refund or a decent MD portie (Sony).  You can't go far wrong with their
Minimans :-)

> >also another problem i have, when playing pre recorded MD's on my
> >stereo, i tried plugging the analog cord into Phono input, that
> >didn't produce any sound, whats the deal?  what do i have to do to
> >play my sharp over my stereo..
>
> You will want to connect from the headphone jack on the Sharp unit to
> the "LINE IN" jack(s) on your stereo. The phono input is usually a low
> level input with equalization that will probably produce a distorted
> sound if connected to your Sharp (and I suppose it is possible to
> damage your stereo by plugging your MD player into it).

Another reason to get a proper MD portie unit, the Sony's have a proper
line-out socket unlike the Sharp garbage.  Volume and bass boost circuitry
doesn't affect the sound- you Sharp fools tell me they sound better despite
all the unwanted processing and I'll laugh 'till next week.

Cheers,
PrinceGaz -- "Farewell, the sun has set for the last time."