Putting aside the reliability issue for a moment,  I think that most of
us would have to agree that Sony has, over the years, been one of the
major innovators in the consumer electronics industry.

Don't forget that it was Sony that invented the CD (jointly with
Phillips- an other innovator).  It was Sony that developed the MD and
ATRAC.  I could go on and one about their advances in TVs etc.

But when it comes to portable MD recorders, Sony has been using the same
basic concept and features for years.  They have a large line of
players, but only introduce one new portable recorder at a time.

Since the R30, there hasn't been a major advance in their recorders.
They have gotten smaller, but their basic functions are still the same.
As is the majority of their electronics.

the R55 represented a slight change in that they really shrunk the size
of the unit.  But at the price of poor battery life and the removal of a
jog wheel.

The original MZ-1 included many features that have been left out of
recent units.  The large LCD.  A complete key pad to help title.  A
digital optical output.

Of the most, I would say based on my experience selling MD for a brief
time, that was only of the most sought after features.  The part to
allow that function would cost Sony next to nothing.  And if there
argument is battery drain, first, since their CD players have the
feature and still offer long play times, I doubt that is much of a
factor.

Second, if it is a concern, they could include a switch: analog/digital
out which would shut off the LED when you were not using it.

Companies like Sharp and Aiwa, that are considered lower line consumer
products have managed to beat Sony at it's own game in both features and
quality.

One last example, Sony is still selling that MZ-R5ST, introduced almost
2 years ago and has offered no advanced replacement.

I guess what this whole thing is about is that I believe Sony has the
ability to make portable recorders that would blow everyone else's out
of the water.  But just doesn't seen to be willing to do that.

LAS