Dear All,

In general it strikes me that ES is not such a smart idea, it doesn't add
any functionality that other portables don't have as you can over record on
other units if you want to.  It does mean that users (with good memories or
no) can more easily make a mistake.  I'm no expert in the design of consumer
products, but I would imagine that it is a good design principle to make the
machine smart rather than assuming that the user will be.

HOWEVER if a few users like end search for whatever reason, wouldn't it make
sense for Sony to at least give users the ability to turn the "feature" on
or off, rather like the auto start feature on Sharp portables can be turned
on or off?

I do find it pretty strange that Sony decks behave like CD players in terms
of operation but there portables seem to behave like tape.  Its either a
good idea or its not and if its good enough (bad enough) for one range, why
not the other?

Tony

PS.  to all of you moaning about the great ES debate, I look forward to it
every year like the return of Spring :-)