Diconnecting divices is different than disconnecting batteries.

1. If you disconnect a device, you disconnect the battery or hot
terminal first because the metal chassis of the device is connected to
the ground.

2.  If you disconnect a battery from a vehicle, you should disconnect
the grounded (chassis) terminal first so you don't risk hitting a
grounded object with the wrench or other tools you are using and cause a
fire or burns.  If you disconnect the ground or chassis terminal on a
battery, the hot terminal is still tied to the ground through the
cappacity of the wiring harness and the resistive load of any devices
that are connected from the hot side of the battery  to the chassis.

Tony Antoniou wrote:

> Read through some Nissan and Mitsubishi manuals and you'll see differently.
>
> It's observed from an electronic point of view in that grounding static
> sensitive devices prior to doing anything else is definitely the best
> practice. Take a look at your deck's installation instructions. Every single
> brand that I've read from has explicitly noted that the ground lead should
> be connected first prior to doing any other connections.
>
> Adios,
> LarZ
>
> ---------------  TAMA - The Strongest Name in Drums  ---------------

Jim Coon